Saturday, May 1, 2010

How I met my wife: A string of broken hearts

Every so often I'm asked "how did your wife luck out and end up landing you?" I have to admit that this is one of my all time favorite stories. I would like to simply say that the stars aligned, the heavens opened up and I was standing there in a wash of magnificent light and she was drawn to me. That would only be half of the story.

This story actually goes back quite a bit further and requires some background info. I had met a girl from Chino, CA and we began to date off-and-on during my high school years. Things were never really serious and when I graduated (shout out to MHS Class of 93) I was off to see the world! After 4 years in the U.S. Army (stories for another time) I came home to Montclair, CA.

About a month after being home with mom and dad, I got a phone call out of the blue. Why yes, it was that girl from Chino. Since I will get sued if I use real names, we will call her Tequila. Tequila and I began our on-again-off-again relationship. Turned out that Tequila's BESTEST FRIEND EVER was Nelly aka the Future Mrs. Flores.

I'm sure we can all see where this story is going - which only serves to feed my legend. After a few years of Nelly and I making eye's and sexual advances towards each other, I felt it was time to step it up. I asked Nelly on date.

Now this is when things get completely awesome. As any man will tell you; this is the #1 fantasy - I am going to get with my girlfriend's best friend.

Being the suave gentleman that I am, the choice for our fist date was obvious: dancing. Not only would I be able to show case my talents, but I could drink, grind hard, and prosper. What could go wrong?

So we drive up in my lifted Super Sport Dodge Ram, Silver - don't hate. As we got out and were walking up to the line of drunks and skanks at Camacho's, I pulled her into me and we had our first kiss. She was digging me - who wouldn't right? We walk in and I'm feeling good. We go to the bar and ask for a couple of cocktails (love that word). They must have misheard my order because they charged me $14 for 2 drinks. At this I say "WHAT THE!? I DIDN'T ORDER THE BOTTLE!" This may have been a miscalculation on my part. I see that Nelly is not too happy with that response.

I'm losing her fast and in a panic - I'm about to miss out on the #1 fantasy of every man! I down my $10 rum-n-coke (had to tip) and look to the dance floor. NO ONE IS DANCING! This is my perfect moment. I ask Nelly to dance and she looks at me like I have completely lost my mind. She says "There's no one dancing. No one is out there." Looking ridiculously handsome, I stare into her eyes and say "right...everyone will be able to see me..."

I pull my SMOKIN HOT date onto the dance floor and make my way to the center. As the music takes over my body the inevitable happens - the stars aligned, the heavens opened up and I was standing there in a wash of magnificent light and she was drawn to me.

Nelly really never stood a chance. She forgot all about her BFE Tequila and was in love.

This story is 100% the way I remember it.

9 comments:

  1. Good Lord, I must still be drunk cuz I don't remember "the stars aligned, the heavens opened up and Ray was standing there in a wash of magnificent light and I was drawn to him"....lol

    I love the way Ray tells this story because every time it just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Ray you are too funny. And as someone who worked with Tequila and Nelly... I have to say Im glad "that the stars aligned, the heavens opened up and you were standing there in a wash of magnificent light and Nelly was drawn to you". You are a great man and and a wonderful husband and father! When Nelly first told me about going out with you.. this is EXACTLY how she told it too.
    I cant wait to read the next postings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer u must be drunk too or Ray has finally brain washed you! If I remember Jenn you thought I was going to locked up and never to be seen again...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same way he and I met. CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is supposed to be Famous Ray's Original blog or Original Ray's Famous blog? Lovely story. I love the fact that to wow her you took her to Camacho's. Nothing says high class like Camacho's and arguing the price on drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's my Ray, High class all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You old playa, so what hapend to Tequila how did she take it ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you were so romantic! With all that charm and class, you probably could have won her over with a $1.50 hotdog/drink combo at Sam's Club.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and she still married you???!!

    Gerardo, google Tila Tequila and you'll see...a life of reality shows and domestic violence.. :)

    ReplyDelete