Friday, May 14, 2010

His Father's Son

Many of you that knew me during high school, or the military, or college, or my first years working .... I guess any one that knew me before Nelly couldn't imagine me being married; more or less having a family. I would have agreed with your assessment during those wonder years, but then something happened. I found a crazy, sexy Salvadorian and the sun set on my individual greatness. As I look back, I can hear the echos of tears as I got married and the shouts of triumph from the single men who now actually stood a chance.

I've been married now somewhere between 7-10 years. During that time, God blessed me with 2 beautiful girls. They are my heart and soul. They are everything to me. God blessed the WORLD by giving me a little boy. God saw it fit that my greatness not be a one time deal. He actually ensured that the next generation will have it's own little me! Can we all say it? GOD IS GREAT.

Any one that has seen the boy will tell you that he looks a lot like me. It's as if I have been shrunk into 2 feet and loss some color along the way. He is a little white me. There is no doubt that he is turning heads where ever he goes. For the good of all mankind, the similarities do not stop there. Every bit of me seems to have been stuffed into this tiny little man-child - I'm surprised he has not exploded from the awesomeness that is inside of him.

What follows are a few examples of how he is me. Some of you may have heard these stories, but when you connect them....that's the magic!

Dancing King - We had a totally rad 80's party. I was Mr. T and the boy was a lil punk rocker (a mini Travis Barker). I was driving with the entire family doing some last minute stuff for the fiesta. As I'm driving, I'm listening to the radio and doing choreography in my head - just another day. I ask my baby-girl if she's going to dance with me at the party. My lil angle says "yes daddy" and melts my heart. I ask the boy if he's going to dance with mommy at that party....he looked out the window, smiled to himself and answered "when I dance, all the girls will like me."

King of the Jungle - So I have a big black friend. We will call him Mr. Tiny. Mr. Tiny is 6'3, 250 lbs of country strong, black man. He is a human forklift and he is a great friend. The boy loves playing with Mr. Tiny any chance he gets. We have some books of animals in our home - basic kid stuff. Every book has two animals, one on the front and one on the back. One day the boy brings one to me asks "what's this daddy?" I look at it and tell him "it's a rhino, buddy." He looked at it again and said "Daddy...I'm a rhino and Mr. Tiny is a zebra..."

I run this - Nelly made me paint a room, change light fixtures, and do other "man" things. Of course the boy wanted to help but some of it was dangerous so I put a movie on for him. I am about 30 minutes into my slave work when I hear him screaming for me "DADDY! DADDY! DADDY!". I tell him to give me a couple of minutes since I was on a ladder and Nelly was there with a horse whip. He is unrelenting! I figure he wants me to watch the movie with him. My heart smiles. "DADDY! DADDY!"  I climb down and head over. As I get there, he doesn't look at me, but points to the TV and says "Daddy....I'm Batman and you're Robin."

Strongest there is - Here is a conversation that happened at the house:
The Boy: Mommy, can I take my shirt off?
Hot Mama: Ya baby, you can take your shirt off...
Baby Girl: He only wants to take his shirt off because he thinks he's the Hulk
The Boy: I AM THE HULK
and off he walks with no shirt on........


Watch yourself - As you all know, my sexiness needs regular care and feeding. I do this a few ways, but one of them is the gym. The gym that we go to allows us to drop off the kids (not at the pool) but in a play area. So we do...all 3 of them. I have this thing about telling the boy to protect his sisters and he takes it to heart. The story goes, as told by our oldest, baby-girl was sitting down and playing by herself. A little boy wanted her toy and she said no, I'm playing with it. The little boy decides to swing at baby-girl. She moves out of the way but is about to cry.....then out of nowhere you hear "HEY! Don't you hit my baby sister!" and a little club of a fist flies....Before you ask, yes the boy is the baby of family. He thinks he's bigger than everyone he knows.

The Shogun of Harlem - I needed something to get all the energy out of the boy. I ask him if he wants to do karate. His answer "no dad, I just want to fight." I tell Nelly that I can put him into boxing when he's 6 and he jumps in and says "YA DAD! I wanna box! I'm gonna box you and knock you out, dad!" I want to choke him but Nelly is watching me like she always does. I take my oldest to start karate and he sees it. He understands that not only can he punch someone, but he can throw kicks and decides he wants to start. After his first class, the instructor came out and shook his head. He simply said "Get ready for all the trophies this kid is going to win."


Free Willey - Nelly tells the boy that it's time to put on his jammas. He changes and comes into the room. Nelly asks him "Did you take off your underwear and put on your jammas?" The boy replies "ya mom, underwear make me sick."


Night Night - "Good night Dad."  "I love you, Mommy"

The point of all these stories? Here is what this all means, in the order that they were told:
  1. I will bring that ISH on the dance floor - and I will be loved for it
  2. Doesn't matter what anyone else says, this is how I see myself
  3. I will be second to no man
  4. Y'all better recognize
  5. I will do anything to protect the ones I love; this includes smashing you
  6. I am a Lover AND a Fighter; both come naturally to me
  7. Underwear make me sick
  8. I love Nelly more than anything on this planet
Is he exactly like me? Nelly may say yes because I'm sure these qualities get on her nerves. I don't think he looks exactly like me or even acts exactly like me. There is no doubt that he is his father's son. I do think that he will accomplish more than I could ever imagine. I do think that his greatest days are ahead of him. I know that the world is a greater place for him being here.

1 comment: