Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Life Lessons

My birthday was yesterday and I find myself reflecting on the magnitude that is me. All the accomplishments, the high-fives, the smacked bottoms...ahhhh, my life is BRILLIANT! I was looking through some old trappings from my MHS days (Cavaliers Bitches!) and I came across a very old list tucked away in my peechee folder:
I'm sure that we can all see 1 glaring feature of this list. No, I am not talking about the authenticity that has been verified by (1) the date of "6/93" in the corner or (2) the lines in the paper showing that it has been tucked away, folded, for years. I speak of the the last item on the list. I am still trying to find 1,000 True Fans. I don't blame myself, I am far too talented to not be noticed and admired. I charge you, readers, for this lapse in my legacy! You are not getting the word out and now we all suffer for it. Thanks fans.

But I digress. Today I want to talk to you about some of the things I learned while on this earth. From my humble beginnings in Monctlair, CA (IE REPRESENT!) to my heyday here in the Big D (The Lone Star State) I have had many lessons. Some were very hard learned, while others came just at the right time. Life is that way - ups and downs will be had; it is important that we holdfast to our values and learn the important lessons.

My dad is great man. Many of the lessons that I still hold to today were taught by my Pop. I am almost a whole generation younger than my brother and sister - 9 and 11 years younger than them. I am thankful today that I grew up with old school parents. This means that I grew up with old school values, ethics, morals, and traditions.

I remember when I was about 11 years old sitting at home when my dad came home from a long day of work. He was a land surveyor; back then it meant he was awesome at math and had to carry a lot of equipment in the field. He walked in mentally and physically fatigue. I was a little punk and didn't know any better, so I started to complain that I was hungry. My mom was not home, just me and Pop. He said to give him a minute and he would make me dinner. After about 10 minutes, I kicked up the complaining again. I will never forget what happened next. Pop walks out of his room and walks to the kitchen. As he walks passed me he said "I'm making this for you because I said I would, not because I want to" - that may seem harsh to some of you, but from that day forward I understood what it meant to be a man. If you say you're going to do something, you do it. What ever it takes. You make sure that you keep your word. In those days, sometimes all you had was your word, and if it wasn't good, what did it say about who you are?

As far back as I can remember, my dad always told me that I needed to where "North" was. It was easy for me to determine back then. We lived at the base of the San Bernardino Mountain range. If I was outside, I just needed to find the mountains and I knew that I was facing north. I loved spending time with my dad. We would go all over the Inland Empire, San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernadino Mountains, Los Angeles county and every time he would ask me, "which way is north?" I would look for the mountains and point. He would let me go to job sites with him and he'd unfurl a huge map across the hood of his truck. These maps were massive, even by today's standards. I would look at contour lines, buildings, roads, land marks, etc., and my dad would show me where "north" was on the map. As a kid, I so took this for granted. I didn't even realize what I was being taught at the time. My dad was making sure that no matter where I was in life, that I would always be able to find my way. He gave me something that can never be taken away. Land Navigation in the U.S. Army was easy money. Even today when I look at blueprints and AutoCAD for hours on end, the drawings just make sense. I can be any where on this planet and never feel lost. All because my pop took the time to teach me something so simple. It is very empowering. I'm sure that with the GPS enabled phones, people don't understand the magnitude of this. You will when you're driving in a major city on a cloudy day :)

Every summer and every weekend, my dad would walk in to my room at 7AM and ask me if I was going to sleep in all day. That simply meant that there was a job to do and I was meant to do it. It would be worse if he left before I woke up. My dad is all about manual labor building character (I used this with Bobert Creamer a few times). Once he left me a letter when I was maybe 14 years old:

FIX THE FENCE. BUCKET OF NAILS AND HAMMER ARE OUTSIDE.
-DAD

I had my Lucky Charms and went out back. There was an old coffee can of old rusted nails, an old hammer from when my dad was 14, and a huge pile of wood slats that I needed to get up. That was my dad. We would buy him new tools, electric tools, fancy tools... but he just used what he had and I did the same. He always made sure that I had what I needed to accomplish my job. He would show me how to do it first, then would watch me for a minute, then I was off to take on the world. Even then, he was teaching me about life. I may make a mistake here and there, but he had taught me right and trusted me. He also taught me that as long as I was going to be at his house that there was plenty of work to go around.

I thank you, Pop, for molding me into who I am today. The world thanks you, without you my greatness would never have been. What kind of sad place would this be? No worries, Pop. I'll handle this one for you! You're Welcome Cyberspace - Happy Birthday to me!

4 comments:

  1. I can only thank God for the man your father is and you've become. I pray that our son learns and values the life lessons that you are and will be teaching him In this day and age we have lost these small things in life. All we need to do is pull out our Iphone and find our way. We have become lazy and for that we will suffer. This generation has to be one of the worst. How sad and very scary to think they will be taking care of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really made me tear up... That is so awesome... I can only hope that you teach those same values in the boy as well as cheech and babygirl... Morals and values are such a big thing that are lost with our children.
    I can only hope that one day my kids appreciate me as much as you appreciate your dad!!!
    Your a great man Ray... you will be famous ONE DAY!!!
    BTW, we're meeting at Don Joses on Saturday the 16th if you and Nelly wanna come out for dinner... (we'll toast to you guys)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would seem that being taught those great things without technology, we as the next generation can still bring those skills forth. As a parent, and from MOntclair Ca, I remember doing somewhat of the same with my dad, I worked on cars, learned how to turn a wrench and still can to this day, but the newer cars are very difficult. I say bring back the old ways, just add a little helpful technology when needed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's scary and makes me feel like an old man to say this but; I weep for the current generation. Parents now are more concerned and focused on themselves than they are with their children. Their priorities are skewed. It's almost like their kids aren't really their responsibility. They have day care, teachers (aka, community babysitters), and after school care. If their kids act up or act out, it’s not their fault, it’s the ‘other’ people’s fault, you know the ones that are actually raising them! They are more concerned about their Infiniti’s and BMW’s and Gucci handbags. I will drive a '02 Honda Civic until the block cracks and work in Ohio for three weeks out of the month just to make sure my kids are happy, healthy, go to college and marry well so I can take advantage of them and maybe weasel my way into a will or a trust, quit my job and live off my children’s successes.

    Great commentary Ray!

    ReplyDelete